Sunday, January 2, 2011

Post-Katrina Neglect


I have to admit it.  This is my backyard in July after I returned from a 6 week trip teaching abroad.  The vines had taken over my backyard.  It was so lush and green and reminded me of the breaks in the rain forest in Costa Rica from my childhood, so I allowed it to stay overgrown.  I have no neighbors to the north, none to the west (the direction this shot is taken in) adjacent to this, and none to the east so no one but me can be annoyed by the overgrowth...and it doesn't annoy me.  I like that the vines covered over the piles of problems that I have to deal with now that winter has arrived and the vines have died.  Except now it is prime raw oyster season so I would rather be in the Quarter ordering oysters than cleaning the backyard.  And this is how neglect gets started.

No comments:

Post a Comment